GREENWOOD COUNTY, S.C. (WSPA) – A former Upstate deputy was charged with murder Thursday night after a man was found shot to death in Ware Shoals.
The Greenwood County Sheriff’s Office responded to the 100 block of Green Acres Drive Extension shortly after 8 p.m. in Ware Shoals.
Upon arrival, deputies found the victim with several gunshot wounds.
The Greenwood County Coroner’s Office has identified the victim as 48-year-old Oscar Rubio, of Greenwood.
His death has been ruled as a homicide.
Investigators were able to identify 42-year-old Justin Rawlins Moody as a suspect in the shooting.
Deputies obtained a search warrant for Moody’s residence located near the crime scene.
Officials reportedly recovered property belonging to Rubio as well as evidence linking Moody to the crime during the execution of the search warrant.
The sheriff’s office charged Moody with murder, first-degree burglary and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.
Officials confirmed that Moody served as a deputy for the Laurens County, Greenville County and Richland County Sheriff’s Office from the years 2007 to 2018.
He also served as an officer for the Clinton Police, Greenwood Police and Ninety-Six Police prior to becoming a deputy in 2007.
Moody was apprehended and booked into the Greenwood County Detention Center, his bond has been denied on all charges.
The South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy provided Moody’s history with working in law enforcement:
- Richland Co. Sheriff’s Department: February 2017 to October 2018
- Greenville Co. Sheriff’s Office: March 2015 to April 2016
- Richland Co. Sheriff’s Department: February 2013 to March 2015
- In February of 2013 he transferred with Richland Co. Sheriff’s Department.
- Richland Co. Sheriff’s Deparment: October 2012 to February 2013
- Lauren’s Co. Sheriff’s Office: November 2007 to October 2011
- Ninety Six Police Department: August 2007 to November 2007
- Greenwood Police Department: March 2007 to August 2007
- Clinton Police Department: April 2006 to March 2007
- Greenwood Co. Detention Center: August 2005 to January 2006